Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rebecca Timmons?

From: neile@u.washington.edu (Neile Graham)
Date: 17 Mar 1997 17:58:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Rebecca Timmons?
To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.washington.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <E72HAn.CyM.0.bloor@torfree.net>,
Tippi Chai <chai@torfree.net> wrote:
>Anyone familiar with the singer Rebecca Timmons? She is purported to sound like
>"early Kate Bush." I'd like to hear some comments from fellow Gaffans.

Well, she sounds nothing like early Kate Bush, but she is interesting.
One of those discs I picked up because a friend had read some good
reviews.  At first I wasn't too impressed but it grew on me and now I love
it.  Still can't bear to play the first cut, though (too sappy).

it is dramatic pop music with some wonderfully quirky touches.  She
reminds me a little more of Jane Siberry than early Kate, but there's not
much resemblance there, either.

It's definitely a taste issue, but I like her a lot.  Just don't expect to
hear Kate other than perhaps as a rather submerged influence.

--Neile Graham
(Hi, Tippi!)