Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: My Computer Why Should I Love You

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 09:17:06 -0800
Subject: Re: My Computer Why Should I Love You
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Ratnadeep Bhadra wrote:

> What do you all think of the new song on Prince's new set My Computer
> which is done with Kate Bush?
>
> What were your impressions of their last collaboration  on her Reds Shoes
> cd, "why should I love you"?

	I don't quite "get" Kate's fascination with Prince...and
now that I think about it, I don't "get" his fascination with
her either. Their styles seem so mutually exclusive.

	While WSILY was written by Kate, and while she 'weeded
out' much of Prince's contribution to it, it still basically
sounds like a Prince song. Which is okay...but wouldn't it have
been more interesting for her to have used him on a "Kate"
signature tune than on one she wrote to emulate him? What would
"Rocket's Tail," "Waking The Witch" or some as-yet-unwritten
Kate masterpiece have sounded like when meshed with Prince's
style?

	Meanwhile, over at camp Purple, Prince seemed to be
inspired by the *concept* of "Deeper Understanding," but
musically, this song doesn't sound Kate-inspired at all. It
sounds like a typically pop-sensible Prince song, albeit with a
more endearing background vocal than could've been provided by
Sheena Easton or Sheila E. What's the point of collaborating
with one of the world's quirkiest, most unusual and adept
songwriter/producers and asking her to merely sing some barely
distinguishable background vocals?

	There are, however, things I love about both tracks. The
opening of WSILY with the Trio Bulgarka is quite beautiful. And
the idea of two artists who have both experienced loss
collaborating (however one-sidedly) to create MC, a track about
reaching out, is also very moving. I just wish that there'd been
more of Kate's own musical complexity in both.

	Good topic, BTW.

	Robb