Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: love-hounds-digest V13 #16

From: Doug <DColeman@why.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:17:14 -0600
Subject: Re: love-hounds-digest V13 #16
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> anybody got any info regarding the alan parsons project?

Didn't they do an album called "I Robot" ? HEE-HEE! [No, I didnt take
his question out of context!]

> When I
> approached the counter, the nincompoop that waited on me said, "Hmmm. .
> .Kate Bush?  She is REALLY weird." This was not a compliment.  Anyway, I
> was so mad I couldn't speak. . .let alone yell.  I've never been back,
> though.  I bought several other Kate cd's at the record store accross the
> street, too.  His loss.

The more I read this list, the more my opinion of you all and of myself
goes up!

> Any idea where Kate will be in June?!
My place.

> Tell me!  Is this just fantasy?
Yep.

> Subject: Kate "Rocket Man" single for sale!
> Asking $15 shipped anywhere in the US/Canada.
> Let me know if you're interested.

Did yall jump on this like I did?

> Not suprisingly, considering the film it was written for, the song explores
> from the husband's view reservations about the changes in his married life
> that will come with the birth of their child.  (Remember that this song was
> played over a pacing Kevin Bacon as his wife was in labor during the film.)
>
>         "Pray God you can cope.
>          I stand outside this woman's work,
>          This woman's world.
>          Ooh, it's hard on the man
>          Now his part is over
>          Now starts the craft of the father."
>
> and later:
>
>         "I should be hoping but I can't stop thinking
>          Of all the things I should've said
>          That I never said,
>          All the things we should've done
>          That we never did,
>          All the things I should've given
>          But I didn't
>          Oh, darling, make it go,
>          Make it go away."
>
> It took me awhile to warm up to The Sensual World but I find it to be one
> of the most emotionally fulfilling of Kate's albums.  With songs like this
> and "Right Down The Middle", "Love and Anger", etc.  Kate very keenly
> addresses the subject of adult emotions and concerns.  (Read middle aged)
>
> In this regard I find this album and the latest Bonnie Raitt albums very
> fulfilling because they don't deal with teen angst.  We are seeing the
> maturing of two very powerful singer/songwriters.  As they move into more
> mature subject matter I look forward to hearing these voice speak more
> directly to me.
>
>         "He thought he was gonna die
>         But he didn't
>         She thought she just couldn't cope
>         But she did
>         We thought it would be so hard
>         But it wasn't ..... it wasn't easy though!"
>
>         from "Walk Straight Down the Middle"
>
> - --
> Alan Chamberlin

The more I read this list, the more my opinion of you all (and of
myself) goes up!
Thank you for revealing new info to me about two of my favorite songs,
and as a result, about myself and what i am going through. (Often my
conflicts and emotions are not filled with self-understanding). On the
lighterside, now I realize I have just been wishing for a third
childhood! <G>