Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KateWorlds

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 22:32:40 -0600
Subject: KateWorlds
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

merry christmas to all!

Tonight I put a gift for you under the tree.

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard

There is a new KateWorlds page with VRML 2.0
worlds.  The original Homeworld has been
rebuilt and reanimated.  You can fly on the
ships now.  Backgrounds are there, but the
current 2.0 browsers don't render them yet.
Soon.  I have not added sound.  Soon.

I may put in some other goodies, but this
initial release is fun to play with.
A proximity sensor sets it off, so if
you *just* look at it, it just looks at you.

Click on the right mouse button to get
the menu for viewpoints so you can move
through the cameras.  For example, to
ride the ships, select one of the ship
views or the pilot views.  One set moves
you along beside the ships, the other puts
you on them.

I will convert Homeground Towers next.
I'm not sure what animation will be added.
I'm taking suggestions.

BTW:  anyone capable of turning love-hound
video clips into mpeg files?  if you wish,
we can now play these in VRML as movieTextures.
I'd really really appreciate some help here.
Putting these in HGTowers would be fantastic.
They need to be small clips... err 30 seconds.
I don't have the gear to do this.

Those who have or wish to have links from
this page, please check the existing links
to see if you are included and the link points
to where you wish it to.

A table of download locations for the new
VRML 2.0 browsers is included.  There is also
a Sony site listed with a small utility for
choosing plugins.  The new version of the
KateWorlds was built for SGI CosmoPlayerPC.
Mileage varies among browsers on any given
world, so I recommend Cosmo.  I will try to
get it to work on the new Live3D 2.0 player
packaged with the Communicator release from
Netscape.  I tested on the first beta, and
it works but the colors and lighting are different.
Live3D 2.0 can also be used to view the 1.0
worlds.   Cosmo can as well.  Again, mileage varies.

Sorry for such a long post.  I've been awhile getting
this conversion to work, but made it by my deadline.

len
dec 24 1996