Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Chaplinesque?

From: Karen Newcombe <kln@staralliance.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:08:01 -0800
Subject: Chaplinesque?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hmmmm . . . this dancing roll business got me thinking about Kate's
techniques of choreography and movement. I have to wonder how much Lindsey
Kemp owes to Chaplin and Keaton and others who pushed the boundaries of
expression with the body in early films. Kate learned a lot from Kemp, which
one can see clearly when they are together in TLTCTC.

I also think specifically of the Christmas Special video of the Ran Tan
Waltz, which seems very Vaudevillian in character -- not to mention the
marvellous touches of cross-dressing and using an adult as a baby -- Kate
can be somewhat wry when she chooses.  But that bit in particular seems
right out of early film to me.

And doesn't Faith Brown in her parody interview with "Kate" tease about Al
Jolson?

Good call on the Dancing Roll . . . do we know what Chaplin film that was from?

Karen  kln@staralliance.com