Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Whole Story

From: punki@ins.at (Punki)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 23:24:12 +0100
Subject: The Whole Story
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi All,

>From: Kelley Hays-Gilpin <Kelley.Hays-Gilpin@nau.edu>
>Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 14:44:48 -0700 (MST)
>Subject: Whole Story Video Crisis
>
>I think Laurie is about the 10th person besides me to post this
>month that we North Americans MUST have the Whole Story video
>in NTSC, but alas, it is out of print.  It is available in the
>UK from Pastel Blue, but in PAL format, and from CDNow in N.Am.
>but only on laserdisc.  Going out and spending $300 on a laserdisc
>player is not an option.  Help, somebody, what ARE the options?
>If something is out of print, is it legal to copy it?  Could
>we chip in on a laserdisc, find somebody special and generous
>to copy it onto tapes for us, or what?  Can the Whole Story
>pass into the Lovehounds Collection tape-tree system once
>out of print in one format, does it have to go out of print in
>all countries and formats, or is it forever copyrighted (this
>last would be my guess, alas)?
>
>I lost the bidding war on the last copy that was offered here,
>but if somebody has one, I have lots of interesting stuff to
>trade, such as the Cann & Mays "Visual Documentary" book...
>
>going nuts at 7000 feet in Arizona (winter blues, need more KaTe),
>Kelley (at this moment listening to Tori--ha!)
>kelley.hays-gilpin@nau.edu

I have been thinking about this problem, and there might be a losution!

Go and buy The Whole Story on "Video CD" this is a special format of an CDi
and can be played ider on a CDi player or on a Computer with CD Rom and MPEG
hard- or Sorft- Ware decoding ability.

Don't worry, you dont have to buy expensive hard or sorf, just point your
browser at: http://www.xingtech.com/  this is the Homepage of the Xing
Technology Corporation. They have a MPEG decoding software, which is able to
decode and play .dat .mpg .mbv Files. The only problem is the Quality of the
played Video depends on the quality of the VGA Card the Processor Speed the
CD Rom speed and RAM size (it works in on DX4 100 or higher) with al laste 8
MB Ram and a good VGA Card (2MB S3 recomandet) it worked as well on a
Pentium 133 with a 1 MB Card. If you have a slower Computer you will se only
a slideshow.

As an alternative I can offer a Copy from Pal (Europian System) convertet to
NTSC (American System) for 85 US$ (I dont get anything of this money! its
only for the Tape, the Copy (professional made) and the postage).

Punki