Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Kate fix?

From: "Xenu's Sister" <vickie@miso.wwa.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:03:27 -0600 (CST)
Subject: A Kate fix?
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds
Web: http://miso.wwa.com/~vickie/

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996 wrobinson@cbc.tpp.com wrote:

> I don't dislike Tori Amos. (I do admit I bought one of her cds
>  because I needed a Kate fix.)

You could always...pop in a Kate CD. It isn't as if she doesn't
have plenty of diverse music to choose from. I'm not intending
to be rude, but to buy Tori as a *substitute* for Kate makes
no sense to me. It just seems to set up a situation where
you're not listening to Tori on her own terms, and instead
expecting something that's only in your head. Since it's
only in your head, and not part of real life, you're bound
to be "disappointed".

> It's just that she is so obviously influenced by Kate and
> has gotten so much recognition for being so original.

But she's *not* influenced by Kate. And she *is* original.
Anyone who listens with an open mind, without Kate in the
"background", can clearly hear that. If you (anyone) listens
to Tori with Kate on the brain you certainly will come up with
comparisons. It's unfair to Tori and to Kate.

> Kate fans, I think, feel that this recognition rightfully
> belongs to Kate

I'm a Kate fan. Don't speak for me. I love Kate *and* Tori.
I treat them as individuals who have nothing to do with each
other except for the fact that they're both interesting and
intelligent females who write and record wonderful music.

> and it galls to see someone else steal her thunder.

It galls that Kate's a recluse and won't do promotion and
tours. That has nothing to do with Tori, and projecting
attitudes onto Tori for Kate's failings (and the failings
of rock critics, MTV, magazine publishers and record companies)
won't do a bit of good and again, is unfair to Tori.

Look, honest, if you want a "Kate fix" without listening
to Kate, if you want someone who *is* influenced by Kate,
and who freely and gladly admits it, if you want someone
who gets absolutely *no* thunder and is totally ignored
by just about everybody in the universe, then try Happy
Rhodes. She's much closer to Kate in feel, sound and
sphere than Tori, and you'll be supporting an Indie
artist who has to take out bank loans and work day
jobs to get albums made.

Warning though: she's her own artist, with her own
style. She's no more a "Kate wannabe" than Iggy Pop.
She, like Tori, deserves to be taken on her own
terms, and not compared (at least, not after the
first listen). She's truly wonderful, but there's
no danger of seeing her videos played endlessly
on MTV (she doesn't have videos), or seeing her
face on Kewl magazines (she has no record company
to buy her covers), or hearing hype about major
tours (she has no money).

> Just my opinion though.

Same here :-)

Vickie