Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Homage/mockery from Tori?

From: SHANDRALYN@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:54:29 -0500
Subject: Re: Homage/mockery from Tori?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

<< It's just that she is so obviously influenced by Kate and has gotten so
much recognition for
 being so original. Kate fans, I think, feel that this recognition rightfully
belongs to Kate
 and it galls to see someone else steal her thunder.
 Just my opinion though. >>

Hmmm... being both a Tori fan, and a Kate  fan, I know both artist's music
rather well. While Tori does have some similarities to Kate, I don't know
that she's "stolen her thunder". And, just because she's similar, does not
mean that she's a closet Kate fan and won't admit to it. Most musical
influences of Tori's seem to be old rock bands such as Led Zeppelin and the
Stones. She also went to an exclusive music conservatory to study piano when
she was 4, so she has a lot of classical influences. Maybe those influences
led to her having a sound that is often compared to Kate's, I don't know.

To tell the truth, I am enjoying this list immensely, but I am rather tired
of hearing Tori get knocked so much. There may be some similarities, but for
the most part, I find them both to be different and unique artists, and I
would not choose to be stranded on a desert isle without either of their
music. Tori is very piano based, earthy, sensual in a raw kind of way, and
somewhat aggressive, whereas Kate is more diverse instrumentally, more
angelic in sound (I can't think of another way to put it, I know that makes
little sense), and sensual in a magical kind of way. I love them both, and
that's that. I must admit in my personal "Musical Hierarchy", Kate is first,
with Tori slightly behind (and ani difranco is up there with Tori), but I
still don't like to hear people knock one of my favorite artists.

Well, that's my .02 cents,
Shandra

PS - Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating it, and cheers to everyone. :)