Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate's dealings w/EMI

From: Karen Newcombe <kln@staralliance.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:28:26 -0800
Subject: Kate's dealings w/EMI
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hey RAB,

Good points.  But this issue of conflict with EMI be one for IED and
Chris'n'Vickie and other more expert Love Hounds than myself to elaborate
on. My main point was that Kate took control over her career at a very early
age, something that many musicians surely wish they had done when they are
several years into a hellish contract, such as you-know-who was.

My personal impression over the years has been that though Kate and EMI have
a good understanding, she keeps them carefully at arms length. The early
years had rocky moments, culminating in a widely reported conflict over The
Dreaming.  A displeased EMI wanted Kate "to come back into the studio" where
they could keep an eye on what the heck she was putting on her albums, and
to accept their producer in lieu of self production.  She refused, went
home, built her own studio, and stayed there ever since.
I also notice that when she took control of photography and so on, she began
to appear in considerably more conservative clothing, and often just more
clothing period. There was an early conflict with EMI over the leotard photo
(resulting in the pull of the original album cover for TKI), her resentment
of the time spent on promotion, and I suspect some conflict over releasing
old songs rather than taking time to do new work. Not only was Kate not
pleased with Lionheart being rushed out, there are rumors of an "early
works" album that was recorded, pressed, and with Kate's change of heart
about the matter, incinerated.

Though Kate has always been very careful to keep all her dealings with the
record company quiet, there have been these minor conflicts. I leave it to
other Love Hounds to clarify whether any of this is accurate or not.

Whether or not Kate had any serious differences with the company, she was
astute enough at an early age to realize that the only way she could ensure
the integrity of her work was to obtain and keep strong control over all
aspects of her career.

Anyone care to jump in and give their impression?

Karen  kln@staralliance.com

Karen L. Newcombe
Vice President

S.T.A.R. Inc.