Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hi! (and some responses)

From: Geoff <gshrieve@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 20:09:42 -0600
Subject: Re: Hi! (and some responses)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Jeff Gower wrote:
>  Does Tori acknowledge
> Kate's obvious influence?  Or does she ignore any comments about it?  Sorry
> if this is old hat.  One thing, though - from the interviews I have read or
> seen with her, she seems to be a bit of a flake personally - a little to
> into psychobabble and 'deep thoughts' for my taste.  Perhaps it all just
> stems from some of her unfortunate experiences, but still it gets hard to
> take after a while.

I'm a huge fan of both Tori and Kate, and I was amazed when the first
Tori album, "Little Earthquakes" came out.  They both have four letters
in their first and last names.  The thing that jumped out and grabbed me
was that they are both inside a wooden box in the photography on their
first albums!  But, the only thing that I thought even sounded remotely
like Kate was the song "Happy Phantom".
  On to if Tori has acknowledged any influence.  I have read many, many
interviews with Tori, and she has never mentioned Kate Bush.  I read a
short (very short) Details interview with Kate where she said that she
has never heard Tori's music, but heard that it was quite good.  I think
that Kate was obviously an influence on Tori, but Tori is reluctant to
admit it for some reason.
  And yes, Tori does sound quite flaky, but have you ever heard or seen
the early TV interviews with Kate?  She was not much better!  As a
matter of fact, that was one of the criticisms of her, that she was
flaky.  Oh well, some of us like the flaky ones!  Thanks for reading!