Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dear All

From: Geoff <gshrieve@cris.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 19:56:55 -0600
Subject: Re: Dear All
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Richard Griffin wrote:

> Hi there everyone,
>
> I've been reading this newsgroup for nearly three weeks now (that is,
> when it is getting any postings at all :)), and I felt I ought to
> chip-in at last with my five-eggs-worth.
>
> I also am a huge fan of KB. During my early teenage years she was a
> huge influence on the way I looked at life in general and I doubt very
> much if my character today would be the same if she were not part of
> my make-up. (For anyone who is even remotely interested, my first
> music loves were KB, Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, YES and JM
> Jarre).
>
> I have followed her career avidly since even before her first single
> hit the UK charts. I remember the earliest time was the late Summer of
> 1977 when I met my first true girlfriend and we fell in love , which
> just happened to be the first time I heard Kate's "Wuthering Heights".
>
> Over the last few years with pressures of work and a struggling
> marriage (I'm now 30 incidentally) I've lost touch with my true faith
> in KB and it has brought deep emotions back to the fore when I've read
> some of your equally devoted testimonials to her.
>
> The one thing that I have noticed when those of you who are interested
> in collecting all things KB, is that I haven't seen anyone mention one
> of the earliest (if not THE earliest) written publication dedicated to
> her.
>
> I am talking of course about the book "The secret history of KATE BUSH
> (& the strange art of pop)" written by the equally enigmatic and
> besotten Frank Vermorel.
>
> This wonderful book, published in 1983,  full of beautiful pictures of
> Kate from her early teenage years to the time when she launched "The
> Dreaming" and in-depth research into her family's intrigueing past is
> an absolute must.
>
> Oh dear, I'm falling in love with her all over again.
> --
> R.J.Griffin Email - griff@inquest.demon.co.uk
> ++ The Ark Royal III Historical WebSite ++
>      http://www.inquest.demon.co.uk/
> --
Oh, yes, it has some wonderful photos of Kate, but the text is
meandering and pointless, and downright incorrect at times.  The cover
photo is gorgeous, though.  And THE earliest book about her is called
"Kate Bush--An Illustrated Biography" and written by Paul Kerton.
Proteus Publishing, 1980.  I have a used copy I found in a record shop
in Richmond, VA around 1986 or so.  Your basic biography, lots of black
and white photos, a few really nice color shots.  My two cents worth!