Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

WR: Mysteries of the Organism

From: Sharon Bailey <sbailey@ica.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 10:38:58 -0400
Subject: WR: Mysteries of the Organism
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Whoever gets Showcase (Canadian art flick channel), WR: Mysteries of the
Organism is on at midnight, Friday October 18th. This is the Globe & Mail
blurb on it:
A legendary film because it was initially banned in several countries, this
trippy Yugoslavian movie has dated badly. The WR in the title refers to
Wilhelm Reich and his theories about sex, liberation, orgones and organisms.
He was against represssion, in other words. Thus we have segments of the
movie that are simply documentary inquiries into Reich's life and work. (He
was persecuted, of course.) Then there are long sections in which hippies in
America and Communists in Yugoslavia have sex. The philosophy is lame and
the sex is merely mundane. All of it can be summarized as hippie cant about
free love and irresponsibility. Fascinating in its fixation on sex and
ludicrous in its damp satiric flashes, the movie is a muddle and one wonders
what all the fuss was about.

Well, never a wishy-washy reaction, it would seem.
I can't see it because I don't have cable; has anyone here seen it before?
Any good? If you get a chance to see it, I'd like to know your reaction.
Thanks!
Sharon Bailey
sbailey@ica.net

This humiliating age has not suceeded in winning our respect.