Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: kate videos

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 96 15:47:01 +0100
Subject: Re: kate videos
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Shane (billings@uhavax.hartford.edu) wrote:
> Does anyone have a clue as to what I am asking?

I'm not the video expert here, but Kate was one of the first artists who made
videos especially to promote the records (and not just filmed live appearances
afterwards).
The first Wuthering Heights video was made before or shortly after the release
of the single (on a budget, but not in a studio - somewhere out in the meadows),
by a company named 'Rockflix'.

> On another note, I think there were four videos from HOL, correct?

Yes, Running Up That Hill, Cloudbusting, Hounds Of Love and The Big Sky.

> Are they
> all concept (?) videos, a la Tori Amos's "Crucify" and Madonna's "Like A
> Prayer", or are they live videos or what.

Running Up That Hill is a mostly a filmed dance routine (beautiful), maybe
comparable to Hammer Horror.

IMHO Madonna's "Like A Prayer" and the much-cited Thriller by Michael "what-
colour-is-my-face-today" Jackson are commercials like most videos, vehicles
to show the singer singing, just with some more going on around.
Kate is taking one step further and made the videos for Cloudbusting,
Experiment IV (also on TWS) and Hounds Of Love (to a lesser extent)
as actual short films that use the respective song as a soundtrack.

The Big Sky is a "fun" video, maybe comparable to Sat In Your Lap, but
playing with imagery of flying.

Rolf