Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hello Earth

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 18:27:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Hello Earth
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Doug Johnson wrote:

>One other interesting note on another tune: "Hello Earth":  when I was
>touring with an orchestra in the Soviet Union (1988...before the collapse),
>I was eating dinner with two friends at an out of the way Georgian
>restaurant in Moscow.  They had music piped in and a tune caught my ear.
>It was the male vocals at the end of "Hello Earth".  The music in the
>restaurant was, again, without any other instruments or vocals, just those
>haunting vocals.  It was the EXACT same thing.  I wish I had asked someone
>there about it at the time.  It may be a native song of Georgia and KB used
>it in her work, or the folks in the restaurant may have recorded that
>section from her song because it sounded authentic "Georgian".  The latter
>sounds unlikely, though.  Is there any listing in the credits for the album
>about this?  I have the wonderful "Price Buster" edition without credits or
>lyrics.

The tune is originally Georgian, but Kate first heard it in the Werner
Herzog film Nosferatu.  Details are in the FAQ, which (gratuitous plug) can
be found at the Gaffaweb site.

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/