Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jig of Life

From: edouglas@dejel.com
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:01:44 -0500
Subject: Re: Jig of Life
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Note:  I tried sending this yesterday but I keep getting messages saying
that it didn't go through and will keep trying.  So I apologize if it
appears twice here.

> > P.S.  Back in 1986 I heard "Jif of LIfe" on the BBC, but without any
> > singing.  It was a different arrangement and the broadcaster said the song
> > was an old tune unearthed by one Paddy Bush.  Does anyone know more about
> > this?
>
>This is fascinating, the first IED has ever heard of such a broadcast.  Do
>you remember whether Paddy was a guest on the programme?  What was the
>context of the piece being aired?
>
>At the Romford KT Convention (October 1985) Paddy said that the source for
>the rhythm and bass-drone sounds from the "jig" sections of "Jig of Life"
>were inspired by a tape he had made of a performance he had himself witnessed
>of a "Greek or Macedonian fire dance" (if IED remembers correctly).  He has
>never heard anything else about such a thing, however.  Anyone?

The broadcast was heard from Vancouver, B.C. on the folk music program.  I
had just tuned in a few minutes before getting home.  I caught some of the
tune and then "Jig of Life" ended as I pulled into the driveway and all I
heard was the Paddy Bush credit at the end.  I'm unsure if he was a guest
or not on the program.  What I distinctly recall was that it WAS an
instrumental version of "Jig of Life" and Paddy's name being mentioned in
some context of discovering the tune.  I wish I could recall more.

Doug Johnson
edouglas@dejel.com