Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Reply to Ronald Girardin

From: matt.adams@wmcmail.wmc.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 96 20:02:43 gmt
Subject: Reply to Ronald Girardin
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

     >From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
     >Date: 12 Sep 96 09:24:23 EDT
     >Subject: Re: Len Bullard's comments

      >  " hmmmmmmm..... Although we all appreciate Kate's recordings,  an
     artist can
     >only
     >truly demonstrate their art through performance.  Most of today's
     recordings
     >are so
     >far removed from actual playing music that it's ridiculous.  Studio
     trickery,
     >retake
     >upon retake.  Everything is calculated and thought out.  Only through
     live
     >performances
     >can we see the pure emotion that is projected by the musicians and
     the music
     >itself.

     OK Ron, so are you saying that it's not really the art that matters,
     it's the process of creating that's
     important?  So watching Rembrandt paint is where it was at then?

     Do you not recognise that the recorded work *is* the art?  The
     Grateful Dead may well have
     decided that the live medium was where they were at, good for them.
     However, just because
     Kate is a brilliant studio artist does not give anyone a right to
     expect her to play live.

     What you have said above is that you don't think Kate has truly
     demonstrated her art by choosing
     only to use a studio.

     I beg to differ!

     Matt