Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jig of Life

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:43:45 -0400
Subject: Jig of Life
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Doug writes:

 > P.S.  Back in 1986 I heard "Jif of LIfe" on the BBC, but without any
 > singing.  It was a different arrangement and the broadcaster said the song
 > was an old tune unearthed by one Paddy Bush.  Does anyone know more about
 > this?

This is fascinating, the first IED has ever heard of such a broadcast.  Do
you remember whether Paddy was a guest on the programme?  What was the
context of the piece being aired?

At the Romford KT Convention (October 1985) Paddy said that the source for
the rhythm and bass-drone sounds from the "jig" sections of "Jig of Life"
were inspired by a tape he had made of a performance he had himself witnessed
of a "Greek or Macedonian fire dance" (if IED remembers correctly).  He has
never heard anything else about such a thing, however.  Anyone?

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S         R        I