Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More live rantings

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 16 Sep 96 08:46:31 EDT
Subject: More live rantings
To: R.Jones@mirinz.org.nz, love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

--- R.Jones@mirinz.org.nz wrote:
   Part of the reason the Beatles stopped touring was indeed the noise. I
     recall an interview where John Lennon said he couldn't tell if his
     guitar was in tune. However there were other reasons, one being safety
     ("they had just killed their president" etc) and the other, which is
     relevant to Kate, is one of having evolved so much in their music do
     be unable to give it justice on stage (err..was it 'You won't see me'
     that Harrison and Co. were trying to perform on 'The Complete
     Beatles'?). What justice could be done to Cloudbusting or Big Stripey
     Lie on stage?

--- end of quoted material ---
Are you telling us that Cloudbusting or Big Stripey Lie can't be done live?
You
gotta be kidding me!    ANY (sorry for yelling) song can be played live.  If
the
band is good enough and artistic enough, they can pull it off.  If you feel
that
Cloudbusting must be played in the same way as it is on the CD,  then go listen
to the CD.  What the point of going to see anm artist live if:
     1. The artist plays the songs exactly as they appear on disc?
     2. You expect anf want the artist to play it as they appear on disc?
*none*

BTW, have you heard any bootlegs of Kate doing Egypt in 1979?   It's quite
different
than the version put on NfE and neither of the version have to do justice to
the
other.  They are different songs...yet they're the same.   Beautiful.

This in incredible.   I don't understand why soooo many people can't or won't
see
the beauty of a true live performance.  Perhaps a different arrangement of
Cloudbusting would be most refreshing (piano solo performace, maybe?).  Big
Stripey Lie can certainly be played live without any trouble at all.

Open your mind....open your heart....let the music in....let the weirdness in.

peace

ron

P.S. For those of you interested,  her's a list of Live Kate Bush since 1979:
       - The wedding List        (prince's trust)
       - Running Up That Hill    (secret Policeman's third ball)
       - Under the Ivy           (german TV...I think)
       - Don't give Up           (surprise appearance on a Peter Gabriel show)
       - Breathing & Do Bears... (comic relief....three show I think)

As far as I know, that's it.