Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Len Bullard's comments about Gaffaweb

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@mail.interpac.be>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 20:18:36 +0200
Subject: Re: Len Bullard's comments about Gaffaweb
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

 Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net> wrote:

>A quick glance will reveal that a scholar will be
>forced to disregard a lot of LoveHounds commentary
>on themselves to find what they are looking for
>about Kate unless knowing the personalities of
>LoveHounds is important to their thesis.

  Where exactly are the LoveHounds commenting on themselves may I ask?
Could you give specific examples? Or are you referring to statements from
fans/LoveHounds regarding the emotions that certain songs or aspects of
music evoke in them. Yes, perhaps that is not 'strictly' information.
However, seeing "Gaffaweb" is, and always was intended to be, a site *by
fans for fans*, wouldn't it be interesting for people to read other
fans'views on Kate, other peoples'interpretations of Kate's work? After
all, if they weren't interested in those things, I doubt very much that
they'd be visiting the site in the first place.

    But let's say they are anyway, and in that case there are *a lot* of
excellent 'strictly informational'-sections to "Gaffaweb" too. The
extensive FAQ Uli has compiled, and of which Vickie has made a very
comprehensive overview for one. If people want to use "Gaffaweb" for just
research or indeed scholarship, that would be the first place to start. And
 just from that alone, along with the lyrics, they could already make their
thesis.

    "Gaffaweb" is the encyclopedia of Kate-ology if you like. Everyone can
take a little piece of it with them while they surf. And it's up to the fan
to decide which piece they want. There's something for everyone. You don't
like the more personal sections. Fine, skip them then,  they are not all
there is to "Gaffaweb".

    But I for one much prefer being part of a team who make warm,
personalised, webpages rather than a cold "Okay, these are the facts, now
sod off" site. Quite frankly, if that's what you're after, there's always
the Sony-page ;-)

>As I think others should have final say on the construction
>of their websites, you should have final say on the content
>of yours.  But criticism comes so easily to one with a cause to
>promote, doesn't it?

  The only 'cause' we are promoting is the work of Kate, along with the
community of LoveHounds/rec.music.gaffa.  And what's wrong with that?

  It's a shame your views on "Gaffaweb" are so negative. But I guess you
can't please all the people all the time... .

                 Emmy

'and then she woke up. i guess there are worse endings' rose walker

                 --,-`-<@ http://www.dma.be/p/bewoner/Krd  @>-,-`--