Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A Personal Ninth Wave

From: edouglas@dejel.com (Cinderbiter)
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 00:28:16 -0500
Subject: Re: A Personal Ninth Wave
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <321c522d.4829628@news.demon.co.uk>,
lotus_eater@rael.demon.co.uk (Lotus Eater) wrote:

> It's been interesting reading everybody's opinions about TNW, but
> really, does there need to be one correct interpretation?
> Everyone's affected by the lyrics of a song in a different way,
> everyones remembers different people and different experiences - how a
> song is interpreted is a purely subjective exercise that probably
> won't be the same for two people.
>
> This is particularly true of TNW which seems to have many different
> threads running through it.
>
> Personally, the song reminds me of someone was close to in university
> that I haven't seen in years.  I don't know why!  All Kate's songs
> tend to make me feel this way.
>
> Lotus Eater

Very wise post. I think TNW is based very much upon dreams, for which
there is no correct interpretation, or at least can only be best
interpreted and "innerstood" by the dreamer.  More complex and/or
archetypal dreams operate on many levels as well, so there is not always a
definitive interpretation even for the dreamer.  And it's clear that KB is
coming from that inner well (for isn't the inner being as vast inside as
the universe/multiverse outside?) and is extremely subjective and
personal.

I just picked up HoL after not having it for 7 years and I recall the same
feeling of shared experiences with a dear friend in college that gave me
the tape when it first came out.  We listened to it over and over together
and had some great discussions about the album.  So now I have the CD ‹
without the lyrics and musical credits...one of those U.S. Price Buster
deals  ‹ and I think fondly of my friend whenever I listen to it.  I am so
drawn to the title song, my favorite of anyone's ever, surely in part
because I was deathly afraid of the Hounds of Love at the time.  Perhaps I
still am.

CinderBiter