Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stuff

From: nth-wave@easynet.co.uk (Dave Watkins)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 20:04:08 -0300
Subject: Stuff
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Well, I've just come back from holiday and on the plane back something
grabbed my attention on the in-flight radio station - Delius's "Song of
Summer". Sound familiar?

In reference to the ninth wave discussion, I've always thought that "And
Dream of Sheep" started in the water aswell.
Whenever I listen to "Waking the Witch", I always get the impression of
Kate involved in a struggle underwater.  Everytime that twisted voice is
heard I imagine her being dragged down, and then she struggles up toward
the surface, but is dragged down again.
I also think that she lives at the end.  "The Morning Fog" contrasts so
well with the other songs that it can only be a happy ending.  She sees all
her family again, who she now "loves better", because she realises what
life would be without them - and just because Kate had a definite ending in
mind doesn't mean the ninth wave loses any of it's mystic appeal to me.

BTW Kate's "Running Up That Hill" has been included on a compliation called
"Drive Time" or something like that.  It contains 40 tunes which will be
great to play in the car. Huh?  Cool.

>Years ago a fellow Kate fan pointed out to me
>a possible interpretation of "Under Ice."  One *could* look at it as  (you
>all >are going to hate me
>for this, I know!)  a rude personal awakening at the end of a cocaine
>binge.  >Witness the lines:
>
>I'm speeding...
>Cutting out little lines, in the ice...
>Spitting snow...
>
>This could be the protagonist cutting and doing lines on a mirror  (looks
>like >ice)... speeding is
>slang for being high on stimulants... snow is slang for coke.  Then the
>end of >the song where she
>sees first something moving, then someone under the ice and then suddenly
>>realizes "It's meeeeeee!"
>is that she sees her own face in the mirror and sees what she's doing to
>>herself.

Speaking of drug related imagery what about in "ADOS":

"And they say they take me home-
 Like poppies, hevay with seed-
 They take me deeper and deeper"

I've always thought this could refer to a wierd opium (spelt
right?)/drug/trip effect.

+ (SHUT UP ALREADY!)  I was flicking through a photograpy book the other
day and I saw this picture which was strickingly familiar to the one on the
back of "HOL".  It had this young woman floating in water , her hair all
over the place and surrounding by weeds and flowers.  The caption read:-

"The picture below was set up in a large wading pool.  It was filled to a
depth of about one foot (30cm) with warm water.  The girl's head was
supported on foam plastic and the water liberally strewn with petals and
flower heads.  Illumination was soft and diffused and the camera positioned
to show some light reflected from the surface itself, giving a high key
picture.  Hasselblad, 80mm, Plus-X, 1/60 sec f11"

Anyone heard of this photograph?

Dave

Ps Stefan, sorry about not coming to Glastonbury.  You're right -  I did
have more  - "ahem" 'pressing' matters to attend to.