Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Well, she is rescued

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 17:50:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Well, she is rescued
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Andisheh writes:

 > She didn't mean to leave it open to interpretation.
 > I quote her: "that's really meant to be the rescue of the whole
 > situation." She had a definite ending in mind. She clearly wasn't
 > successful in making it definite to her audience.
 > How many other times has Kate made careless mistakes?

The only "careless" mistake here is found in the argument above.  It relies
on a false extrapolation from a misinterpreted source text.  See IED's
discussion of Kate's statement about "the rescue of the whole situation" in
his previous post.   What is significant about Kate's remark is that it is --
like the end of TNW itself -- vague, and therefore capable of sustaining
multiple interpretations.  But there is simply no evidence of carelessness at
all.   Though human and prone to error (as are we all), Kate Bush just
doesn't make "careless" mistakes. Indeed, in her art she has arguably made no
mistakes of any kind, ever.

 > I need only mention the confusion about whether she wanted
 > to swap places with God on "Running up That Hill" (which, as
 >  she clearly stated in an interview, she had no intention
 >  whatsoever of leaving ambiguous)

But this point is not ambiguous!  That some interviewer felt that it was does
not make it so.  The meaning of the lyrics of RUTH are perfectly clear.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
     S             R              I