Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(diffs) FAQ: rec.music.gaffa - Love-Hounds - Kate Bush

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 22:31:31 +0200
Subject: (diffs) FAQ: rec.music.gaffa - Love-Hounds - Kate Bush
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Archive-name: music/kate-bush-faq-diffs
Last-modified: 1996/08/05
Version: 1.4.p minus 1.4.l

This is a human understandable 'diff' from previous month's FAQ to this
month's FAQ.

If you are on the mailing list (love-hounds) instead of rec.music.gaffa this
is all you will get without further action.  The full version is posted to
rec.music.gaffa only.  You can get a full copy of the FAQ by requesting it
from me (uli@zoodle.robin.de), or by sending email to majordomo@gryphon.com
with the message contents being "get love-hounds-digest FAQ".  If you can't
receive more than 64KB in one piece I can split the FAQ for you.

All paragraphs which have been changed/added/deleted are listed here,
additional comments in []s.  Cosmetical changes aren't listed.

-------------------8<-------------------

Newer versions (in decreasing order) can be obtained from me
(uli@zoodle.robin.de), from Bill Wisner (majordomo@gryphon.com, message
contents "get love-hounds-digest FAQ"), from various newsgroups
(rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.info, alt.music.ecto, rec.answers, alt.answers,
news.answers), any ftp site archiving any of these groups, or from Gaffaweb
(http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa).  If you can't receive more than 64KB in one
piece I can split the FAQ for you.

[another site for the FAQ is now available - Gaffaweb. I hope I'll be soon
able to have the Gaffaweb version as up to date - or even more up to date -
as the version posted to the newsgroup. Right now we're still recovering
from all the work done for Gaffaweb ;-) - and THANKS AGAIN VICKIE for
the beautiful HTMLisation of the FAQ available on Gaffaweb.]

3.3. Spam postings

     What is a spam?

     Spamming is the posting of massive numbers of duplicate articles on
     Usenet.  Spams don't have to be commercial, they don't even have to be
     unrelated to the discussion topic... but they usually are.  A commercial
     posting that's not really on topic probably is posted to a big number of
     other newsgroups/mailing lists too, so any not Kate-related commercial
     posting is probably a spam.

     Someone selling a few Kate Bush records is definitely not a spam.  A
     professional record dealer selling more than a few records is also not a
     spam.  (Nevertheless both should avoid posting long sales list to the
     group.  Instead post an announcement that you've got stuff to sell and
     will send the list to interested people.)).  Remember that even if you
     don't like commercial postings at all, some of us like those that are
     Kate-related.

     A 'student' praising magazine subscriptions most definitely is a spam.

     Unfortunately, spamming is not illegal.  And if it was illegal in one
     country it doesn't have to be illegal world-wide.

     So what to do about spam postings?

     1. Write to the relevant postmasters (politely, they're likely to have
        hundreds if not thousands of similar mails), possibly including the
        complete spam posting including *all* headers (esp. "Received:" lines).
        If writing to postmaster@spammers.site doesn't help, you can check
        the chain of postmasters in the "Received:" headers, or you can find
        out the domain servers of the spammer's site by entering the spammer's
        domain (e.g. "spammer.com") on http://www.internic.net/wp/whois.html
        and complain at the "postmaster" at that site (this assumes the
        spammer's domain isn't completely faked).
     2. Do not mailbomb the originator.  Most of the times, the addresses
        are faked, that is, the only one not having trouble with the mail
        bomb is the spammer himself.
     3. Do not write to love-hounds/rec.music.gaffa, we all know it as well
        as you do.
     4. With repeated spams, check out with the maintainers of our moderator
        software <love-hounds-request@gryphon.com>.  They might be able to do
        something about it.
     5. Most important: do not call/write/ask/whatever the originator about
        whatever he wants to offer to you.  That's what he wants to achieve,
        and that might be what's paying him (addresses = information = money).
        You can complain if you know who he is, but please: do not play into
        his hands.

     See also the net-abuse newsgroups (news.admin.net-abuse.misc etc.).  Lots
     of the information here is from [DB].

     P.S.: to be a bit more PC: spammers could be female as well...

[I was kindly informed by someone who knew better than me [Daniel Barrett DB]
what spamming is commonly seen as in the net community. So I incorporated
the changes he suggested.]

3.4. What is Katemas?

     In 1996 there were parties in Karlsruhe (Germany), Minneapolis
     (Minnesota), Glastonbury Tor (England), Gwynneville (Wollongong,
     Australia), Half Moon Bay (San Francisco, California),
     Boonton (New Jersey), Winchester (Masachusetts), Melbourne (Australia),
     Toronto (Canada)

[Did I overlook anyone's party?]

4.5. Other Artists using Kate's Work

     Cover versions of Kate's songs:

     Running Up That Hill

        Tori Amos - ? (no recording available)
            (concert in Denver on June 19, 1996, sang a few lines - 'If I only
	        could, I'd be running up that hill'.) [RP]
        Levy 9 - Glad To Be Gay: down Under vol. 1 (sampler) [JL]

[Two new entries here]

     Wuthering Heights

        Mr Floppy - The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Dickhead
            (regular and instrumental versions) [GD]

[Add. info about 2 versions]

     Books mentioning Kate Bush:

     Neil Gaiman and Ed Kramer (editors) - The Sandman Book of Dreams
        Grahan Dombkins [GD] writes:
        In one of the stories, "Escape Artist" by Caitlin R. Kiernan we
        look into the early life Alvin Mann or as we all know her Wanda from
        the "A Game of You" Sandman story arc. It's a very moving story about
        Alvin's attempt to escape from his impossible life. His only friend is
        a girl Charlotte who, it turns out, is a huge KaTe fan! We are told
        that as soon as she heard the new Kate album "she had skipped school,
        hitched all the way to Junction City and pocketed the cassette at
        Kmart". The album was The Dreaming and the important song (for the
        story) is Houdini. The theam of escaping is key in all this. Caitlin
        Kiernan weaves KaTe's lyrics from Houndini into the story. Charlotte is
        very much a rebel and would do things like lie in front of oncoming
        trains to scare the driver. They listen to Houdini and wait in the path
        of an oncoming combine harvester, except this time "this in no trick"
        and you realise that they mean to die.

[another new entry here - any other stories?]

4.8. Fanzines

     Irgendwo In Der Tiefe
        This is a German language fanzine done on irregular basis by the
        German Kate Bush Club.

        Irgendwo In Der Tiefe
        Kate Bush Club Germany
        Thilo und Beate Meiswinkel
        Uhlandstrasse 3
        76135 Karlsruhe
        Germany
        meiswink@itsnova.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
        http://itsnova.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~meiswink/katebush.htm

[new entry, long overdue. Big question, for I'm going to include a few
more here in the future: which other fanzines are operating currently?
Is the still listed Never For Ever still active? I do know about the
new Japanese one, just forgot to include it here now. Printed the
relevant message, so it's not lost.]

4.11.What about the inscriptions on the vinyl discs?

     other discs:
     (these inscriptions are not neccessarily written by Kate)

     Ferry Aid - Let It Be (7", not all releases):
        Side A: This song is sung with love + emotion
        Side B: Thank you for buying me

4.12.Kate Bush World Wide Web (WWW) pages

     The Ultimate Page To Go To First Before Any Other Page:
        http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa

        This is a group effort of more than a dozen people who worked for a
        couple of months on creating the most complete Kate information
        resource available. The page is going to grow continuously.

[No, not only 'a' new one, 'the' new one. But I might be biased ;-)]

     Stev0 [SB] provided the following reviews, since I still don't have WWW
     access at home I cannot comment on these.  Actually I do have WWW access
     now, but I haven't found the time to visit them all yet.

[yes, I'm online now!]

       The Very First Pages to Visit:

     Top-Notch Bookmark These And Come Back Often Pages:

     David Benson's Kate Page:
        http://www.intserv.com/~dobenson/kate/the_muse.html

        Some of the BEST photos of Kate I've EVER seen.  Now also features
        the Kate Bush Web which works like a newsgroup with real people
        posting (not bots).

[new URL]

     Really Great Must-See Pages:

     A Tribute to Kate Bush
        http://www.worldchat.com/public/foozer/foozer.htm

        It's a pretty good site with everything you'd expect.  Also is a
        Reader's Digest version of The Garden.  A good site for folks in a
        rush.  Rating: *** (three stars)

[A new one]
       See These Pages When You Have the Time:

       Experiment IV:
--- 2195,2200 ----
***************
*** 2318,2349 ****

     New And Therefore Not Yet Rated By Stev0 Pages:

     The Kate Bush VRML site (The Worlds of Kate Bush):
        http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/index.htm

        You need a Netscape browser with a Live3D plug in for these four
        virtual reality worlds there.  These pages need a while to load over
        the net, because they're quite big. [LB]

[New URL]

     The Irgendwo In Der Tiefe German Kate Bush Club Pages:
        http://itsnova.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~meiswink/katebush.htm

        This is the site of the German Kate Bush Club Irgendwo In Der Tiefe.
        There are some articles of the club's fanzine there, as well as some
        nice pictures (not photos but drawings) of Kate.  Drawback: right now
        this is a German-language-only site, though an English translation is
        promised.

     The Kate Bush Shocked Concerts
        http://www.intserv.com/~dobenson/kate_shocked_concert.html

        Shockwave movies done by David Benson.

[Two more new ones]

     To use these services you need a direct internet connection and a WWW
     client, for example Mosaic, Netscape, Lynx, Omniweb, Internet Explorer.
     WWW is a worldwide multimedia hypertext document system where you
     basically can use your mouse to navigate through myriads of documents all
     somehow linked to each other.

[included a few more commonly used browsers. Anyone feeling missed here?]

7.   Credits

     DB:    Daniel Barrett <barrett@liberation.cs.umass.edu>
     DR:    David Reff <dsearch@aol.com>
     GD:    Graham Dombkins <gaffa@ozemail.com.au>
     GP:    Gregg Primm <gprimm@cris.com>
     JL:    John Light <light@creative.net>

[two new ones (DB, JL), changed initials (DR2->DR), a deleted-on-request
old one (the previous DR), and two address changes (GD, GP)]

Bye,

Uli

P.S.: I really hope to be a bit more on time in the future. Another almost
2 weeks delay again :-(

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2] "Bah, ich habe 4 mit 8!" [comment from Sven Wachter]