Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Katemas in Glastonbury

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 96 19:10:06 +0200
Subject: Katemas in Glastonbury
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

a short report about a great weekend

I started on Saturday, July 27th at 3am (yawn). After a 500 mls
journey, including a major traffic jam at Stonehenge, I arrived in
Glastonbury at about 3pm.
Tired from the long driving, I walked around town for some time,
discovered to my great pleasure that Glastonbury, despite being a quite
small town, has two record stores that deal with used records and
collectibles. In one of them I already met two of the other Katefans,
Stefan and Robert (?? - sorry, I'm terribly bad with names) from Austria.
(while I was browsing through the bin labeled "Rare"!)

"Glastonbury Tor: This impressive Conical Hill, some 525 feet
 above sea level, rewards energetic climbers with panoramic views
 and St. Michael's Tower remains a land mark for many miles around.
 The rest of the Church is gone, ..."
 (from the "Guide to Glastonbury" web page)

When I climbed the Tor (I thought about running up that hill, but steepness
and atmospheric temperature objected) the next day at the arranged time,
there were already a dozen or so Katefans assembled at the top, among them
Krys & Matt, Kelley, Paul, Stefan and Robert.
Krys had made a delicious cake (choKolaTe of course), Matt had brought all
the equipment one needs to preserve this event on photographic film
and Stefan supplied Austrian Fruitopia posters and stickers for everybody.
There also was new wine and cider, and it certainly would have been a really
great picnic-like event...

"That cloud looks like rain"
"That cloud looks like Ireland" (well not really. But it was as big as)
"That cloud is nothing but trouble"

Then it started to rain heavily, and we all had to take cover in the old
church tower (only to find out that it didn't have a roof anymore).
Quite a surprise, as the morning had been cloudy, but dry (Saturday
and Monday were really sunny). As if someone with a rain-making device...
but we won't blame anyone particular here, would we?

So we soon made our way down the Tor again and discovered that our projected
destination, "The Rifleman's Arms", won't open until 7PM. Knowing this,
we went back to town, met again at the Assembly Halls and went into the
... err.. (yes, I'm not that good with pub names either. But I remember the
name of Glastonbury's grocery store: "Top of the Crops"!).
There we all signed the birthday card Krys had bought for Kate. We stayed
there until those who came to Glastonbury just for that day had to leave.
The rest (namely Krys, Matt, Stefan, Robert and me) went across the street
to an Indian restaurant to have dinner. Another drink in the pub, then
goodbyes had to be said and thus ended this really great day.
"I know where I'm going, but I don't want to leave"

greetings to everybody at all the Katemas parties
Rolf

p.s.
Thanks again to Krys and Matt for organizing this event. Special thanks to
the person who paid my drink (Paul?? Sorry, I really forgot that).
And I have to apologize to all the people whose names I've forgotten or
misspelt.