Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re/ TSW

From: Chris Smith at Indiana University <smithcj@indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:32:46 -0500 (EST)
Subject: re/ TSW
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
cc: love-hounds-digest@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Dunno. I still think that TSW is one of the most extraordinary song
cycles I've ever heard; it is by far my favorite Kate album; I think the
songwriting (with, granted, arguable exceptions) is superb; the
production is incredibly evocative; the use of "non-Western" resources is
sensitive and un-touristy.

I find it thematically _extremely_ consistent: it is about transcendence.
Of the body (Deeper Understanding), of the earth (Rocket's Tail), of
"rational mind" (Love & Anger), of carbon-based life (Deeper
Understanding), of death (This Woman's Work; dying to give birth), of
two-dimensional "fictional life" (The Sensual World), of the media by
which it is possible to achieve transcendence --dance (Heads We're
Dancing, the video of Love and Anger), poetry (L&A), electronics (DU),
gunpowder and "wild mind" (RT)--; it's about recognizing and respecting
the great traditions which have targetted transcendence as a basic
spiritual aspiration (the disc includes explicit and implicit references
to the Tarot, Wicca, Catholicism, Sufi, and "women's ways of knowing");
it's about the Dark Side of transcendence  --that its power can be
twisted and scary DU)--.

i think it's brilliant, and continue to think so.

FWIW

cjs

Chris Smith - Lecturer in World Music, Indiana. "One World" WFIU 103.7
  Altramar medieval music ensemble; Amandla (African jazz);
  The B.O.M.B. Ensemble (Baroque music). Martial Artist: Shaolin Kung Fu.
  http://www.indiana.edu/~smithcj. (p) 812/855-2664; (f) 812/855-0729
"THINK! (BOOM!) THINK! (BOOM!) It ain't illegal yet!" -- George Clinton