Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Music from Argentina

From: Gonzalo Balerdi <gonzalo@startel.com.ar>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 00:07:47 -0300
Subject: Music from Argentina
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi Neal ... I've been trying to mail you privately twice, but it seems I
can't reach you. So I'm posting this to lovehounds....

Neal wrote:

>  I totally agree with your opinion of TSW (wish they'd drowned the
>three little kittens before the recording); it comes across to my
>somewhat damaged ears as one big NOISE!

Yep ... I still don't know what it is exactly, but it sounds bad...

>A while back you mentioned your favorite 3 Argentinian singers/
>groups. Now that I've located a record store with a large Spanish
>section, could you repeat that, plus a few words about their type
>of music and sound? The only stuff I've heard from Argentina was an
>hour of a syndicated PRI Spanish music show dedicated to it one
>time; It was good.

 *  Soda Stereo :

 They have a lot of CDs. They were definetly an 80s band, but they are
experimenting more now. The last CD is called " Sue#o Stereo". ( That's an n
with a tilde). It's very modern and very very good. They have made an
unpulgged for MTV, and it's gonna be shown in the States and Europe soon.
The other CD I recommend is "Doble Vida" a tipical record of 80s pop,
probably with infuences from Duran Duran...

 *  Charly Garcia:  Rock/pop , very  Prince

"Parte de la religion"
"Piano Bar"
"Clics Modernos" ( modern clix)
"MTV unplugged"

 *  Fito Paez: More melodic, very trendy here right now.

"Ciudad de pobres corazones"
"Giros"
"El amor despues del amor"

Don Cornelio y la Zona:  very little known. They no longer exist. They were
one of the bands that set the trend in Buenos Aires underground during the
80s. Quite unique, with pop and dark infuences. They only have 2 LPs,
compiled together into one CD. You won't find it anywhere. Not even here  :-)

>PS; went to the Argentina-Tunisia Olympic soccer match last night;
>Argentina's team was obviously superior, but Tunisia was really
>fired up in the second half.

I don't give a s**t about soccer. After besiball, it must be the most boring
sport ever invented ;-). But everybody is crazy about soccer here ( we call
it , and write it : futbol  - yeck! ). It is a matter of national interest.
And everybody is *very* angry and pissed off with the team. People want to
kill all of them. They say that if we can't win against Tunisia, then they
might as well come back home and look for another job. It sounds funny to me
, how soccer can be so important to a country. Today, everybody had a bad mood.

( the same thing happens in the rest of latin america - especially Brasil)

  You'd swear though that the refs were
>collecting their paychecks in Buenos Aries (1-1 tie).

Didn't see the game. I'm not interested  :) But everybody says we suck !!!

Chau ...

                Gonzalo