Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Much rambling (Was Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #238)

From: "Chris Hansen @ Work" <chris@kiva.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 23:45:40 -0600
Subject: Much rambling (Was Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #238)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <chris@[204.228.150.2]>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

I must admit I missed (thankfully!) the beginning of this
'discussion' due to overwork and travel, but I'm not one to be shy...

On 25 Jul 96 at 20:34, Chris Williams wrote:

>    How does the web writer who decides that some people are not worthy
> of reading his/her web page differ from George Wallace standing on the
> steps of the university? Again, disregard the emotional connection just
> for the moment for the sake of trying to understand.

Now Chris, if I 'disregard the emotional connection' I still see it a
bit different than bigotry.  Were I to write a novel in Americanized
English, I wouldn't be trying to deny the content of my book to those
who are not literate in English.  I would be writing in the medium in
which I am most comfortable and familiar.  To take the analogy a bit
further, were I to try to write a book in Sanskrit I would learn from
what examples I could as well as the reference materials available.
Much of the reference and instruction materials that are current (at
least at my local library  and bookstores - yours may be different)
deal with forms, frames and (AUGH!) Java/Javascript.

Now in no way am I defending the WebPage in question (especially
since I haven't visited  yet) but bigotry and technological
exclusivity both should be 'judged' against the
perpetrator/defendant.  If a person states that you can't enter here
because of your skin color or browser preference, that person's
motive is clearer than if the person is creating for own enjoyment,
challenge and creativity.  If frames, English or the color purple  is
the way this person wants his message displayed to the world, so be
it.  I refuse to be  judge and jury - I may not visit if I don't care
for it, but that is my choice.

However if someone is intentionally denied access due to their
appearance,  sexuality or mother tongue, I get rather incensed, so I
can understand your position.  I probably missed out on a whole bunch
of  really important info that makes my comments seem foolish and out
of order, huh?

>    In the case of a Kate Bush web page, one would hope that the information
> would be available to everyone interested. One would hope that some moral
> obligation would be felt to the people who produced much of the original
> information presented.

Yeah, it would be great.  Unfortunately, you can't force morality
anymore than you can legislate morality.  If you don't feel a sense
of duty or obligation, I can't make you - I can only show you the way
it  can be and let you choose for yourself ('you' in the general
sense, Chris, not you specifically).  Now, how is that for idealistic
and unrealistic?  <grin>

On another note, thanks to the person(s) who recommended Jane
Sieberry's 'When I Was A Boy'.  I'm enjoying it and if I ever figure
out what the songs mean, I'm sure I'll enjoy it more.

I had a young lady help me out at the local Kinko's Copy Center this
afternoon who looked amazingly like pictures of Kate when she was
young - needless to say, I have NO idea what I signed when I picked
up my order....

For those in the Phoenix, AZ area, the record store at Camelback and
Central next to the old Gold's Gym has several Kate records,
including two full sized vinyl interview picture discs I'd never seen
before, the gray vinyl HoL, several 7" singles in generic sleeves and
the only other copy of Stan Freberg's United States of America:  The
Early Years that I've ever seen.  Tower records on 40th and um,
Thomas has the Secret History of Kate Bush or whatever it is called
which is only worth the pictures (at least from the samples I read).
They said they had another Kate book in but had just sold it a 'day
or so' ago.  Poor timing, I guess.

It's 11:30pm so I'd better finish my work so I can get a couple hours
sleep before work tomorrow.  I wish I had a pillow and some ice
cream, though...

chris
the rambling-on-and-on-and-on-and-on one

Today is a good day to bribe a high-ranking official.
Contact Chris Hansen at chansen@kiva.com, tchansen@xmission.com
or check out his HomePage at http:\\www.xmission.com\~tchansen