Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #219

From: Graham Dombkins <gaffa@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 96 11:40:28 +1000
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #219

G'day all,

Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert) sez...
>other Wuthering Heights covers I know:
>
>Pat Benatar (album "Crimes of Passion") the "rock ballad" version
>    Pat B. is a good singer and does a good job here, but somehow
>    the result isn't much more than an average rock ballad.
>
>Angra (album "Angels Cry") the "metal ballad" version
>    Angra fans forgive me, but I don't like it. Compared to Pat Benatar,
>    this version seems softer, overproduced, and their singer, well,
>    reaches the high notes but doesn't always hit them.
>
>White Flag (on sampler "Freedom of Choice") the "new wave" version
>    this one is interesting: They are using Kate's lyrics, but completely
>    different music (anybody recognized the music?)
>
>Ataraxia (album "Il Fantasmo dell'Opera") the "gothic wave" version
>    Instrumentation (drums and organ synth) and singer Francesca Nicoli's
>    mezzo-soprano(?) voice add a somewhat scary feel.
>    It's from a concept album about the phantom of the opera (based on a
>    book and not on Webber's musical), has slightly adapted lyrics
>    ("It's me, Christine...") and a new title: "La nuova Margherita".
>
>bye,
>Rolf

Once again I'll let people know that there IS another cover of KaTe's
Wuthering Heights, it's by an hmmm... alternate style band, in Australia
called "Mr Floppy" on their album "The Unbearable Lightness of Being a
Dickhead". The actually do WH TWICE. Once in instramental form. Great
album. :-) They're the only band that I know that combines rock, pop,
thrash and ambience/trance on the one album!!

            \___/

<mailto:gaffa@ozemail.com.au>
<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gaffa>
"one day my keyboard will learn how to spell!"