Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

eleven years

From: David Windhorst <colorg@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 00:34:03 -0400
Subject: eleven years

So, anyway, it was September 1985, and I had just quit a steady
bookstore job of five years to move a thousand miles to see if this
earth-shattering summer romance was for real since she was relocating
two time zones and we'd been there a week when she decided she didn't
love me anymore and I drove around the desert staying in anonymous
motels spending my short life's savings trying to figure out what the
hell I was going to do now and there on MTV was this w.o.m.a.n. with a
face and a voice that could turn you into pure white light and she
leaned over a podium and read from a book and fired a hideously barbed
arrow saying "I'd get him to swap our places" that reached into my
chest and eviscerated my life and
t-o-o-k-m-e-s-o-m-e-w-h-e-r-e-e-l-s-e I mean, yeah, I'd seen bits of
Hammersmith Live and heard Pat B. do "Wuthering Heights" but, my god,
this could change your life or make you want to end it or both and I
didn't do anything about it for a year when I couldn't stand it and
just didn't show up for work one Monday morning since I'd stolen a key
to a condo in Florida and drove down to swim out into the gulf and
disappear but stopped I don't know where in Tennessee I think and
bought two albums, the soundtrack to "Blade Runner" and what else but
HOL and hid out listening to Kate before trying to paddle halfway to
Cuba but couldn't make myself do it and now I hang on her every word
even though I still don't know why I'm crying, either, but it's
something bright traveling fast.
Beauty is life.

David