Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New-age "music"

From: nth-wave@easynet.co.uk (Dave Watkins)
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 22:55:08 -0300
Subject: Re: New-age "music"
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>New age music? Well... Calling it "music" is  exaggerated. I mean the
>original new age "music", the one linked with the new age movement, records
>made for meditating and such things... The kind of record you can make by
>randomly press the keyboard of any synthetiser and adding some choirs,
>bells and one or two exotic sounding instruments. This is supposed to be a
>relaxing stuff, but any music lover cannot listen it  more than a minute
>without finding it really boring.

I don't agree with this.  I don't know what the definition of "music" is,
but what does it matter?  Regardless of whether someone like Kate puts a
lot of thought into her songs or whether they have been made by

"randomly press the keyboard of any synthetiser and adding some choirs,
bells and one or two exotic sounding instruments."

As long as it's great to listen too then so be it.  And I think most of
this stuff is great to listen to.  Besides, I'm sure these "new age" guys
put a lot more effort into their pieces than this.

See ya,
Dave

PS: Please don't take this as a flame, just an opinion