Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Five Artists

From: rabensam@earthlink.net (Richard Bensam)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 17:52:19 -0500
Subject: Re: Five Artists
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <31BDFC8F@avgate.kan.marconi.ca>, mackeyj@kan.marconi.ca
("Mackay Jim - Kan. Av.") wrote:

> Picking five is not an easy task but I'll throw in my .02.
>
> 1) Buddy Guy - for the blues
>
> 2) Roxy Music - for the style
>
> 3) AC/DC - for the oomph
>
> 4) Neil Young - for the Bob Dylan Vocal Award
>
> 5) The Who - for all time

Kate herself is on record as a Roxy Music fan.

As a longtime Who fanatic, I despaired of finding any connection between
their work and that of Our Reason For Being Here.  They would seem to have
nothing in common, except for a mention of Keith Moon in Blow Away, and
Kate's appearance at the Prince's Trust concert with Townshend in her
backing band.  Each of these can be more or less dismissed as an accident
of circumstance.  (As I recall, Kerry Juby's book contains a flippant
comment from Pete about Kate's near-defrocking on stage.)  But lo and
behold, one of Kate's contributions to the KBC Newsletter contains a
glowing reference to a Who concert as "the most exciting live rock
performance I've ever seen" or words to that effect.  (The exact citation
can be found in The Garden web site.)

If someone was ever compiling, say, a listing of people who have
influenced Kate in some way, both Roxy Music and the Who would surely have
to merit at least a passing mention.

RAB