Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Watch this space...

From: "Chris Hansen @ Work" <chris@kiva.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:24:01 -0700
Subject: Re: Watch this space...
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <chris@genie>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On 14 Jun 96 at 16:38, SEAN TWOMEY (ARCHAEOLOGY) PG wrote:

> > for an amazing and astounding observation when I get the time sometime this
> > afternoon....

> what what what ? (impatience is a virtue !)

Okay, okay... I was going to wait until I actually had a free moment but I've
got to share this tidbit with you (all).

In my capacity as the senior technical writer here at KIVA, I am converting our
documentation to HTML for usage over our customer's Intranet.  I'm a bit of an
over-achiever so I've been reading HTML primers and texts from the library at
the rate of 2 per week (I don't sleep much anyway).

Here is the interesting bit:  I had just curled up in front of Letterman with a
bowl of sherbet and a new text and was getting into the introductory chapter.
I'm  scanning through the examples (partially to see if the author made a
mistake between the sample code and the displayed example to test my lack of
HTML prowess).  I scanned through the code for a sample and then turned the page
to the displayed example.  No big deal, but something prompted me to turn back
and scan the code again.  Thinking my subconscious had picked up an error, I
turned back and read the code closer.  There in the middle of the page is the
text "...<OPTION> Kate Bush..."!  Thinking I was hallucinating, I rubbed my
eyes, squinted and read again.  Yep.  Looking at the sample, though, Kate didn't
show up until I looked at the character example (ie. Lynx) and displayed in the
middle of the selection box is our beloved Kate's name.

So I turned off Letterman, put on the Cathy Demos (thanks to dear Esther - do
you still hate me?) and set the book aside for an hour or so.  HTML can wait...

[** For those of you interested, the book is:

    HTML Sourcebook
    A Complete Guide to HTML
        by Ian S. Graham

    Published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
    Copyright 1995 Ian S. Graham
    Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data:  ISBN 0 471-11849-4

    ...with Kate references on pgs. 63 in the example source code (Figure
    1.27) and 66 in the Lynx browser example (Figure 1.29) in the pop up list
    box. I checked the online examples and couldn't find that document.**]

I now return you to your regularly scheduled activity.  Get busy - someone is
watching...

chris
the overly-long-winded one
We're staying together for the sake of the cats.
Contact Chris Hansen at: chansen@kiva.com
                         tchansen@xmission.com
                         http:\\www.xmission.com\~tchansen