Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #181

From: krys.thomas@wmcmail.wmc.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 96 12:18:06 gmt
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #181
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

     Re:  "Cathy Demos"

     I was interested to read the exchange about the early demos between
     Colin and Ronald.  I received my first cassette copy from a friend
     years ago, but have been sent other copies by friendly Kate fans since
     (I have about four now).  Some were apparently sourced from the
     "Cathy's Home Demos" vinyl LP, others from a Cd (I've never seen one
     of these).  Comparing them is interesting, because many of the copies
     in cicrulation seem to be at the "wrong" speed, Kate sounds a bit like
     she is under water and singing slowly.  The very first tape I had
     sounds much more what you would expect of a young teenage girl
     singing, enen though it is sometimes hard to catch the words.  If
     anyone has only the "slowed down" versions, I can thoroughly recommend
     the other one and if you want a copy please let me know.  I agree with
     Ron that people should copy them free; there are so many around now
     anyway it wouldn't be worth Kate's while to try and withdraw them, so
     it seems only fair that all people interested in Kate's music should
     be able to hear them without being ripped off by unscrupulous
     bootleggers.

     Finally, as many of you will know (who are already in receipt of the
     demos on whatever format) titles differ according to the source.  Some
     songs apear to have several titles, people who put the tapes onto
     cassette/Cd to bootleg guessing (wildly at times!) what the songs may
     be called - it's quite amusing some of the things they have come up
     with, they have mis-heard a few of the things Kate is singing.  My
     copy also includes some stuff Kate sang at the Bill Duffield concert,
     which is short and noisy but nice to have.

     Take care all,

     Bright Blessings

     Krys