Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #165

From: Ben Miller <bmiller5@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 07:50:13 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #165
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Vicki
> From: "Xenu's Sister" <vickie@miso.wwa.com>
> Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 18:42:31 -0500 (CDT)
> Subject: Re: ho ho ho
>
> On 15 May 1996, "got another 10 free hours" wrote:
>
> > Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
> > Then it gets STALE.
>
> But you and others assume *wrongly* that Tori is trying
> to imitate Kate. She's not. She can't win with you
> people. If she doesn't mention Kate she's considered
> a rip-off artist who refuses to cite influences. If she
> mentions how much she admires Kate then she's considered
> an imitator.
>
> Long ago, I came to the conclusion that Tori's just a
> personal problem with you Tori bashers. You don't like
> her, which is fine, but you, for some unknown reason,
> feel you have to drag Kate into it, which makes no
> sense to me. They're as different as night and day,
> except that they both play piano and they're both of
> the same gender.
>

> Vickie
>
> (ps, of *course* Kate is God...was there any doubt?)

My problem isn't with Ms. Amos per se.  I think it obvious that she's
been influenced by Kate, whether directly or indirectly.  The thing that
bothers me most is that (and perhaps this is sour grapes) 1> Amos gets
radio airplay; 2) People have heard of her.  I know a lot of people that
 have heard and really like Amost, but has never heard of Kate until I
introduced her to them.

Moreover, upon hearing both  of them, all I ever hear is, "Oh yeah.
They're very similar."  Aside from being women, singing in the soprano
range and playing the piano, I think there are very few  simialrities.
I find it annoying that others (my friends in most cases) can't hear
what I hear in Kate's music.

Again, mostly sour grapes.

Cheers,

Ben