Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Early Wuthering Heights Review

From: min@waknuk.demon.co.uk (Araminta Thorne)
Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 12:51:38 GMT
Subject: Early Wuthering Heights Review
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi - I've done a whole-lotta-lurking over the past 3
years, met a few of you at the last KonvenTion but,
though tempted on a number of occasions, haven't till
now posted anything.  However, last week's copy of
Melody Maker contained a snip that's prompted me to
brave the wave.  It was their 70th anniversay edition
and included, in a selection of MM singles reviews
from the past 40 years or so, the following
Wuthering Heights review:-

KATE BUSH:
WUTHERING HEIGHTS (EMI)

"Bizarre.  Kate is a complete
newcomer, is 19, was first
unearthed by Dave Gilmour, and
has spent time with mime coach to
the stars, Lindsay Kemp (my next
role will be to play a five-year-old
heiress).  The theatre influence
comes through strongly, from the
cover (all Chinese Cracker exotica)
to every aspect of Kate's song.
The orchestration is ornate and
densely packed but never overflows
its banks.  Kate's extraordinary
vocals skating in and out, over and
above.  Reference points are tricky
but possibly a cross between Linda
Lewis and Macbeth's three witches
is closest."
(Number One for four weeks,
March-April 1978)
              -/-

As someone who, prior to the release of RUTH, had only
heard of but not heard Kate it's fascinating to me to
find out people's initial impressions of her work.  What
a job for a reviewer to even try to come up with a
reference point for her work!
So -
i)   who is/was Linda Lewis?
ii)  should I have 'pruned' the review to avoid bringing
     up the topic of witchery yet again...   ;-)

Macbeth's three witches - what a cheek!