Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A reply to Creighton's Jurassic bark....

From: j46061a@nucc.cc.nagoya-u.ac.jp (CHOTIN Fabrice)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 14:36:08 +0900 (JST)
Subject: A reply to Creighton's Jurassic bark....
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

I didn't mean to add my five cents on this flaming subject, because this
mail-list is supposed to be devoted to Kate Bush, but I cannot stay silent
after reading:

>As a practicing Pagan (for 15 years), a member of MENSA (148 IQ) and a
>thinking member of the Human Race, I am shocked and offended by your
>callous, rude, and intollerant behavior.

 I am not pagan, my IQ is certainly not as high than yours (and I am happy
to be too "stupid" to care about it), (and if what you have wrote is the
result of your "thinking", then could someone tell the poor dumb non-native
english speaking that I am how meanings you can put on this word?) So you
probably won't take care of this message.
 But I want to say that I am far more shocked by YOUR words than Chris's.
In fact, YOUR behaviour is proving Chris right. I agree with him, and if
some are calling that being a jerk, then we are at least two jerks on this
mail-list.

>the topic is as valid as
>discussing the religious beliefs of ANY historical entity that has effected
>our culture, even when we don't know the facts.
>The ancient Celts, Sumerians, Egyptians, and Etruscans all effected
>European culture, and very little concrete documentation on their religions
>exists. However, we (as scholars, speculators, and thinkers) CAN and DO
>speculate as to the religious and sacred practices of these folk. We CAN
>derive SOME theories from the songs, poetry and literature of these people.

 The ancient Celts, Sumerians, Egyptians, and Etruscans affected also
american imagination... It would have been harmless if it stayed on the
role playing games domain, but some turned that in a kind of incredible
religious mix-up. You can believe that or anything else if you want, as
long as you don't bother others with it. Then, just call yourselves
"speculators" but nothing else. Any other name would be an usurpation. And
don't mix-up history, linguistics, ethnology or anything else with
beliefs... Beliefs are just a matter (an interesting one in fact) some of
this sciences can study, but if you use this sciences to justify your
beliefs, it's a plain swindle.

>I believe these same techniques can be applied to this discussion of KaTe...

A belief again :-) Of course, a crooked method can be use on any subject.

 Happy Beltaine anyways, but if you really intend to sing like a banshee,
you should first learn what a banshee song was supposed to mean... Or maybe
will you think of Chris when singing that way?
 This week-end, I won't sing, I will play "The jig of life" on the pipes in
an irish-music session...  By the way, does someone know where to find the
words of the narration by John Carder Bush in this song?

                                                                        Fabrice.

"I am the "who" when you call "who's there?"...