Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

OFF TOPIC: Re: Open letter to Chris and Happy Rhodes

From: "Chris Hansen @ Work" <chris@kiva.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:36:05 -0700
Subject: OFF TOPIC: Re: Open letter to Chris and Happy Rhodes
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <chris@genie>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In an earlier post, Vickie typed:

    I'm going to be traveling to Philly to see Happy Rhodes in concert, and I
    don't want a flame war to cast a pall on meeting fellow Love-Hounders who
    are Ectophiles, as has happened before. It's just not worth it.

Well, Vickie, to you and all of you who recommended Happy Rhodes, I have a
first impression for you:

    Wow...

now, my second impression:

    Wow!

This is incredible...  I've yet to listen deeply to the lyrics (I listen at
work usually) but the rhythms, melodies, structures... hell, everything blends
and creates a synergy unlike almost any other I've heard.

I picked up RhodeSongs (I think on your recommend, Vickie) and from the moment
I hit play I've been engrossed all day.  These songs hit my like the best of
Kate - thoughtful, intricate and so well balanced that if any one component
were missing it wouldn't have near the same effect.

Thanks again...

chris
the simply-amazed one

p.s.  The following is meant for Vickie - the rest of you can read but it is
meant for her.

Vickie,  I know it is extremely hard to watch people 'beat' on someone you care
about.  While the initial posts were a bit, um, forceful, they in no way
deserved the treatment by those sporting for a bloodfest.

I have a bit of advice.  Since you don't know me at all this advice is worth
zilch or less to you, but I must like to see my own typing so I'll do it
anyway.

As hard as it may be, ignore personal attacks.  Delete'm, scroll past'em, do
whatever you can to NOT acknowledge them.  From my personal experience, when
you acknowledge a flame as a flame (especially publicly), you encourage these
potentially nice people to react like cretins and froth at the first orifice
which comes to mind.  But, of course, you know this, having been around the
electronic community for at least a week or two....

Oh well...

I wish you and Chris all the best and please remember that we are only human
after all, much to my dismay.

And for anyone else who is still reading, flame me privately - I won't respond
to flames posted to the list.

You might be a redneck if your idea of going 'on-line' involves
    static and the words '10-4 good buddy'.

Contact Chris Hansen at:            chansen@kiva.com
                                    tchansen@xmission.com
KIVA                                http://www.xmission.com/~tchansen/
Phone (801) 261-2617 / FAX 268-8262
5525 South 900 East #325, Salt Lake City, UT  84117-7200