Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Wuthering Heights/Bexleyheath

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 12:45:00 EST
Subject: RE: Wuthering Heights/Bexleyheath
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Encoding: 49 TEXT
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

 Taina's question prompted me to have another dig in The Garden
 (edited by Andrew Marvick):

      [Here are Kate's writings from the Kate Bush Club Newsletter,
issue Number 1 (January 1979). Following the article is a brief
"interview" with Kate, in which she responds to fans' written
questions.]

                       Kate's Songs

     "Well, I wrote [Wuthering Heights] in my flat, sitting at the
upright piano one night in March at about midnight. There was a full
moon and the curtains were open, and every time I looked up for ideas,
I looked at the moon. Actually, it came quite easily. I couldn't seem
to get out of the chorus--it had a really circular feel to it, which is
why it repeats. I had originally written something more complicated,
but I couldn't link it up, so I kept the first bit and repeated it.
I was really pleased, because it was the first song I had written for a
while, as I'd been busy rehearing with the KT Band.
     I felt a particular want to write it, and had wanted to write it
for quite a while. I remember my brother John talking about the story,
but I couldn't relate to it enough. So I borrowed the book and read a
few pages, picking out a few lines. So I actually wrote the song before
I had read the book right through."

 [This explains why the song refers to Heathcliffe as the one receiving
  the visitation rather than Lockwood as in the book - TSB]

 [Cut to the interview - TSB]

                            Interview

     When were you born, and where?

     "Lots of people want to know this, and there's been a lot of
dispute about whether it is the same date as Emily Bronte, who wrote
Wuthering Heights. I was born in a nursing home in Erith, Kent, while
my parents were living where they are now, in Welling. The date was
July 30th, 1958."

 So what's the story with the phantom Bexleyheath Maternity Hospital?
 (Yes, yes - I know I've brought it up before)

 TSB