Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Heather's playlist

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 96 13:01:31 +0200
Subject: Heather's playlist
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi,

here are the videos Heather Nova played during an one-hour
(minus commercials) programme. For every song she gave a
short introduction, how she came across that song and why she
selected it.

The Beatles         All You Need Is Love
Bob Marley          No Woman No Cry
Kate Bush           Wuthering Heights (Rockflix version)
REM                 Loosing my Religion
The Pretenders      Brass In Pocket (new acoustic version)
Massive Attack      Safe From Harm
Grant Lee Buffalo   Fuzzy
Scarce              All Sideways
Neil Young          Peace And Love
Heather Nova        Truth And Bone

Here's her intro talk about Wuthering Heights (I hope there
aren't too much transcription errors):

"I remember I was about 13 when my cousin gave me a tape of Kate Bush -
I'd never heard of her before - and that was 'Wuthering Heights', off
from her first album 'The Kick Inside'; and I just finished reading
'Wuthering Heights' the book, and I thought it was the most romantic
thing I've ever read, and so then I heard this amazing woman singing
the song 'Wuthering Heights', and...
I was so amazed by her voice and I would just listen to that tape
over and over, and I remember my parents couldn't stand it. They told
me they thought it sounded like an injured cat, because her voice goes
so high. And my mother, she also thought that the lyrics were:
 "It's me, I'm caffeine free", you know the word is
 "It's me, I'm Cathy, I've come home", so that was funny.
And Kate Bush, I've been a fan ever since that record, so here's
Wuthering Heights."

Note: this may look like she's had trouble with her parents, which
isn't true. She speaks very highly of them in other introductions to
The Beatles ("it's like a soundtrack for my childhood"), Bob Marley
and Neil Young (they attended one of her concerts, when she was
opening for Neil Young in Berlin).

bye, Rolf
---
"I think my parents had really good parties, because I remember
often waking up in the morning and having to step over people
in the living room" - Heather Nova