Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy & Jane (Re: Depression

From: "Chris Hansen @ Work" <chris@kiva.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:11:07 -0700
Subject: Re: Happy & Jane (Re: Depression
To: "Xenu's Sister" <vickie@miso.wwa.com>, love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <chris@genie>
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

On 28 Mar 96 at 21:38, Xenu's Sister wrote:

> Why recommend a certain title over another?  Or why are these
> artists spoken highly of?

Actually, I what I meant to communicate is 'why do YOU recommend that
particular title?' but I didn't quite succeed.  From popular opinion on
LoveHounds, I had the impression that both artists were highly thought of.
However, people often differ in opinion on which album is a proper 'starter'
selection.  As an example, I try to introduce KaTe to people with 'The Sensual
World' since it is more 'mainstream' than the other on a whole album basis and,
if the person likes it, I can recommend others depending on their favorites
from the album.  Recruitment? Yup... unabashedly.

> I can only speak for myself, but I consider these two women to be
> in the same "sphere" of goddesshood as Kate.  Of course, I've
> said it before and I'll say it forever: KATE *IS* GOD. Always
> and forever (amen). But in my world, Jane is Jesus and Happy
> is the Holy Ghost :-). (Tori's Mary Magdaline, Sarah and Sinead
> and others are apostles-apologies if that offends anyone.)

No offense, of course.  I, personally, refuse to force the mantle/label of
diety on any person... chances are, the person doesn't want it.  If the person
does, you've got a much bigger problem.  Just my two [insert monetary unit]
worth.

> Beyond all this diety doo dah, I love strong, talented, intelligent
> women who make music that matters, music that lasts, music I'll
> never get tired of, and who write interesting lyrics that *mean*
> something.

Yeah... <sigh>.  It is unfortunate that this style of music is not more gender
neutral, but I do occasionally find an artist that for an album or two (rarely
a career!) who appeals to me in the same way....

Thanks, Vickie, for the recommendations!  I'll see if I can locate some of them
and I'll let ya know how they appeal to me.

chris
the excited-about-some-new-music one