Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Types of Katefans (late)

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 07:50:10 -0800
Subject: Types of Katefans (late)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

This is montrously late, but I only just managed to come across it:

Stefan wrote:

>Hello all! That there are two types of KT-fans is surely wrong. Most of my
>friend rate the middle period as the best.

I wasn't talking about how people rate the middle peroid.  As far as I
know, I've never come across a fan who didn't like this music and think
that Kate was really starting to blossom here.  I'm talking about, aside
from that, that people tend to be fonder of either the first albums or the
latter.  Saying "early stuff" and "late stuff" automatically assumes an
overlap, not a specific cutoff point.

>Of course, compared to some
>other music all KT-albums are ******, but looking at them internally I
>would rate them such:
>
>        The Kick Inside         **
>        Lionheart               *
>        Never For Ever          ***
>        The Dreaming            *****
>        Hounds Of Love          *****
>        The Sensual World       ****
>        The Red Shoes           ***
>
>So, Violet, I do think there are a third group of fans. And Bryan belongs
>there too since his point is that the substantial dividing line is not
>between earlier/older stuff but between middle period/the rest.

I suppose, then, that you are thinking differently that I am.  I look at
the above ratings and I see that you have many more stars given to her
later work, and the fewest to the first two albums.  I would say you prefer
her later stuff. Yes, you like her middle stuff most, but what I'M
interested in is what you like LEAST.  It's clear to me looking at your
ratings.  When I said that most people either prefer her earlier work or
her later work, I didn't mean that either the first two albums or the last
two albums would be favorites.  If you will look at your rating, you can
see that it is visibly bottom heavy, and thin on top.  Perhaps I'm not
making myself clear, but it doesn't really matter.  As far as I can tell,
ALL Kate fans like the middle work.  But other than that, everyone either
prefers the earlier albums, or the later.  Middle preference wasn't in
question in my mind.  So unless I run across a Katefan who doesn't like the
middle stuff and says they ONLY like the early and late stuff, I will keep
thinking there are two basic fans.  But no one has to agree.  So  now that
big question is, is there anyone here who loves The Kick Inside, Lionheart,
The Sensual World, and The Red Shoes, and who dislikes Never For Ever, The
Dreaming, and Hounds of Love?

Violet :)
xoxox

        +       "Jesus is coming... Look busy."         +