Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sick Joke

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 00:23:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Sick Joke
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>               Who told that 'joke' about the policeman
>               beating up someone.... yes really funny
>               NOT.... I found it really offensive,
>               violent, sick. Is this what American cops
>               laugh about in the locker room after a
>               long, hard day ?
>               Whoever posted it feel ASHAMED. This is a
>               group dedicated to a beautiful woman, not
>               sick, fascist male humour.
>
>               There, had to get that off my chest.
>               Normal service can now be resumed.
>                            Esther.x

  I'd suggest you read Art Spiegelman's work on the nature of humor, but
perhaps an older writer might be more helpful.

"The secret source of Humor itself is not joy but sorrow. There is no
humor in heaven." Mark Twain- Following the Equator

    It was "politically incorrect" AND it was funny. Without getting deeply
into a philosophical discussion, I could point out the pain, unpleasantness
and "political incorrectness" of many jokes that Kate has laughed at.

   A pretty decent example is the episode of "The Young Ones" where
Vyvan meets up with his long-lost mother, who is working as a barmaid.
Rather than a teary reunion, she's more interested in Vyvian's housemate
Mike, and when Vyvian asks her for something she throws a bottle at him
and flips him off and says "Up your's, ugly!"

   It loses a lot in the transcription, but Kate found it funny enough to
inscribe this line on the lead off grove of one of her records.

   Being rejected by a parent is obviously a painful experience for a
child...so how could a wonderful person like Kate find joking about
this funny? Well, if you don't understand, it's possible that you never
will.

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago