Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A quick Roches comment

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 05:51:59 -0800
Subject: A quick Roches comment
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>I'm with NightEyes. Consider The Roches, quite plain-looking women whose
>music (when it's working...some albums have definite shortcomings) is pure
>magic. See "The Roches" or "A Dove", their twin classics, especially "Maid
>Of The Seas" from the latter.

Personally, I don't think the Roches are plain.  Well, one of the sisters
is a bit ordinary, but I find Suzzy very unusual-looking, and I think the
blond one (is that Terre?) is downright cute.  There is an actress that
Suzzy reminds me of, but I can't think of her name right now.

But that aside, there have been a lot of female singers who haven't been
gorgeous to look at, but through their music, have enthralled men AND women
alike.  Just as there are homely actors who always have women at their
feet, so too there have been plain women who have left plenty of men
starry-eyed and weak at the knees.  Janis Joplin, for instance.  She was
never "alone."  I have heard an awful lot of stories about amazingly
handsome men being with unattractive women and having eyes for no one else.
The spark of inner beauty does shine through.  It is all a matter of charm
and personality -- charisma.

Violet