Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Driving Miss Katie

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 07:58:25 -0800
Subject: Driving Miss Katie
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>>   Kate had learned to drive, and according to the first Vermoral
>> book owned a Volkswagon Beetle. But she hasn't driven in years
>> according to all reports and interviews. She usually takes taxis
>> or is driven.

Didn't I read somewhere that Kate failed her driving test a few times
before finally passing?  I don't know if things have changed, but I had a
friend in the '70s who lived in London, and she told me that if you failed
your driving test, you had to wait another 6 months to take it again.
(Whether this was just for the purpose of making you wait, or whether they
were booked up 6 months in advance on appointments I don't remember.)
Either way, I'm aure I read that Kate failed and was frustrated at having
to wait to take the test again.  I'm not surprised she doesn't drive.  I've
quit driving for years at a stretch because of heavy fear (I am mobile at
the mo, though).

Violet