Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Smurf, playing his guitar refrain...

From: eputnins@uoguelph.ca (Erika Putnins)
Date: 7 Mar 1996 15:55:49 GMT
Subject: Re: Smurf, playing his guitar refrain...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Nickie Curtis (sjianuzi@mailbox.syr.edu) wrote:
: I've been listening to this line for over a year now...
: am I missing something?
: Why is it in such an emotional peice...
: Maybe someone can give an in  depth explanation of
: the song "Moments of Pleasure"
: -Nickie-

Nickie --

I don't think KaTe is speaking about a smurf in Moments Of Pleasure - I'm
pretty sure she's saying a kind of slurred version of "it's murph", who
was, I assume, a guitarist.  If you slur "it's" and "murph" together, it
certainly sounds like she's saying "smurf".

I agree with you, though... Moments of Pleasure is an extremely emotional
song - one of my favourites by KaTe (on a related note, is anyone
*really* touched by All the Love?  I thought this was a beautiful song...
but I digress...).  I always thought (or maybe I read it here) that
Moments of Pleasure was a song about those KaTe has loved and have died.
She's really opening herself up in this song... it gets to me every time...

This hasn't exactly been an 'indepth' explanation of the song... sorry...

*Erika, de-lurking for the moment.