Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Accidentally meeting Kate

From: SamiT007@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 23:46:49 -0500
Subject: Re: Accidentally meeting Kate
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

**I discovered Kate's music in the most accidental way--
I was shopping at a used-tape store and reached into a bin to pick up a
Bauhaus cassette for my sister.  I paid, left the store and was driving home
when I discovered I'd grabbed the wrong cassette and rather than Bauhaus, was
holding something called The Dreaming by a Kate Bush.  Rather than make a
fuss over exchanging a $3 cassette, I placed the tape in the player.  I
figured if the music was half as beautiful as the lady on the cover, it woul
be worth the three dollars.  I cannot even begin to express the sensation
that ran through my body and soul upon listening to Kate for the first time
(the tape was wound to Houdini.)  I have yet to determine how someone's music
can find its way into a recess of my heart (and still does upon each listen)
that I did not even know existed at the time.
It's been almost a decade now that I've been nourished by Kate's music.  It
never ceases to overwhelm me by its ever-lasting freshness and renewing
energy.  I can think I know her music inside and out, and then suddenly, one
day, I'll listen to a song I've heard 1000's of times and hear a lilt in her
voice, a warble, a hiss, an intonation on a certain syllable, etc., that I
had never noticed before.  I can spend days in reflection over one of her
phenomenal screams (IMHO--the best "scream" is in Constellation of the Heart,
followed by the one in Ken.)
And I haven't even heard the demos yet.

Does anyone know anything yet about plans for this years' Kate-mas parties?
 How can I get details?  Does anyone know if there's one planned in the upper
Midwest (U.S.A.) area?

Thanks much!
--Samantha

P.S.  Remind me sometime to tell y'all the story of the "Lutefisk Leg" of
KaTe's north American tour in the Upper Midwest, back in the late '80's.  (If
only we were allowed to post photographs, I could share some I took during
the show, but *sigh* we MUST live by the FAQ rules...)