Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"The Handsome Cabin Boy"; '86 Tour

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 17:47:45 -0500
Subject: "The Handsome Cabin Boy"; '86 Tour
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

 Some Zappa person writes:

 > The song was been recorded by Kate Bush (B-side of "The Hounds Of Love,"
 > 1985), who not only claimed composer  credit, but also left out the
crucial
 > second verse (which lets you know that the captain's wife, as well as the
 > captain, was hot for the cabin boy), the less essential final verse.

The false crediting of Kate Bush was of course an error by EMI.  Kate Bush
has
always been completely forthcoming about the sources for her music.  This
is borne out in the case of "The Handsome Cabin Boy" by the fact that, like
Zappa, Kate herself played Ewan MacColl's version of this song during
her guest-d.j. stint on Paul Gambaccini's BBC Radio One programme in
December 1980.  (The version IED is referring to is the one sung by
A. L. "Burt" Lloyd.)  And if that doesn't restore her unfairly
tarnished reputation chez the Zappa group,  perhaps the news that
during her guest-d.j. appearance she extolled Zappa's talents and played his
"Montana" will.  Kate Bush -- generous to a fault, as always...

 >> Yes, on that humid, never to be forgotten summer night of August 4,
 >> 1986, Kate performed at the Hurricane Superdome to an SRO audience.

  > It was really too bad the others didn't stay -- if I remember
  > correctly (IED?), that was the only tour where they had that wild
  > special effect of the sandstorm they used for "the Dreaming."

    The sand effect was from the '88 tour.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
    S               R             I