Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Puns and playing with words and pronounciation

From: ptapola@pippin.ntc.nokia.com (Pertti Tapola)
Date: 29 Feb 1996 06:59:21 GMT
Subject: Puns and playing with words and pronounciation
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

I suppose every careful spectator has noticed that in the
video "The Dreaming", when she sings "Pull of the Bush"
for the first time, she inhales a cloud of smoke and
subsequently the other dancers pull her around when she sings
this line.

She also plays with words in many ways that (even a non-native)
listener can enjoy, like:

In "And Dream of Sheep":

	If they find me racing white horses,

	They'll not take me for a buoy.

buoy vs. boy (which would also be proper and to a casual listener
even more probable for the context).

In "Cloudbusting":

	The sun's coming out.

	Your son's coming out.

These two lines sound very similar but both of them fit for the
context well.

In "Love and Anger":

           Take away the love and the anger,

           And a little piece of hope holding us together.

           Take away the stone and the timber,

           And a little piece of rope won't hold it together.

Note the similarity between words "love" and "stone",
between "anger" and "timber", and between "hope" and "rope".
(I think she's telling us something very fundamental of
 love and anger here.)

See also my previous post of "Them Heavy People" on The Single File video.
The video contains so much playing with words and gestures that its no use
listing them all.  Just see for yourself.

Anyone noticed any other similar cases (or are they just too numerous
to enumerate)?

Pertti Tapola        pertti.tapola@ntc.nokia.com (in Finland, by the way)

              Canst thou not say, express it yet though!