Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 18:01:03 -0500
Subject: MisK.
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

 > ...and some nit-picking remark about Feeling Like A Waltz:
 > the lyrics file i found at ftp.uu.net has the line

 >  L'amour--mon choux avec un etranger. <Making love--my
 > darling w/a stranger.>

 > I think that's

 > L'amour--mon choux avec une etrangere.

 > (this would refer to a female stranger)

 > -- Rolf

As IED made the translation cited above, he feels compelled to
answer that, although Rolf's alternative makes more conventional sense, it is
not what Kate Bush actually seems to be singing.  It sounds far more like "un
etranger" than "une etrangere" in the recording (though admittedly Kate's
pronunciation of such Gallic niceties as these is charmingly fallible, as we
know from her other French-language vocals).
Moreover, given our familiarity with such songs as Gay Farewell and Wow, this
relatively less familiar arrangement of gender need not defy explanation.

IED would like to commend Wieland, our esteemed and immensely valued
Listening Love-Hound De Luxe, for leading
a heroic effort to extract from the shadowy beauties of the Cathy Demos still
more shards of elocutory light.  Already many remarkable and immensely
valuable discoveries have
been made by the soldiers in this ongoing campaign against the great enemy of
Tape Hiss, and we may hope for still more.  Congratulations!

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
     S               R            I
     P.S.:  IED also hastens to commend Karen Newcombe on the publication of
her poem; Peter FitzGerald-Morris for maintaining and even arguably exceeding
his usual high standards of Homeground in issue No. 56 (still and always an
invaluable resource for Kate Bushologists everywhere); and
Vickie Mapes, whose ongoing Kate Page projeKT is already a useful and
comforting island along the Highway to Deeper Understanding.