Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate

From: Sharon Nelson <shenelsw@uwcsms1.uwc.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 10:59:13 -0600
Subject: Kate
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

   Dear Love hounds,
        I have noticed that Kate's songs talk of bad times, but she seems to
have an overwhelming amount of confidence that she can look past the bad
things and learn from them.  In Army Dreamers she describes young 'men' who
never made it to their dreams because of war.  This song from Kate has more
meaning and insight than songs from Nine Inch Nails or Tori Amos who show
that the writers wallow in their pain and never get past it.  Rather, Kate
is secure enough that she's "Oh, to be in Love and Never get out again." Why
in the Devil can't they focus on ANYTHING good?  Pessimists.....Hmph.

By the way, in response to Ellen van Neck, you are more normal than you
think.  My boyfriend is a musician who lets me play with his equipment.
"just saying it could even make it happen"  and I intrigue him when I sound
so much like Kate.  Singing along to the tapedeck alone in the car helps.
Its difficult at times because as we all know, no one (including Tori) can
do it just like KaTe.
Sharon
______
  |     "If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it,
  |/       we would be so simple that we couldn't."- Emmerson M. Pugh.
  |\